Progress map - Click on "See Bigger Map" below picture for details.

Tuesday 2 February 2010

We are gettting fitter!




Good evening. Some good news came today in the form of Pools on the Park, the gym, swimming pools and leisure centre complex in the Old Deer Park, Richmond. They have agreed to get me match fit for the Race! Early days yet but we have discussed a year long training plan which will focus on endurance and stamina and also core strength. We will be monitoring my lung capacity, BMI, fat percentage, strength and overall fitness from month to month.

The rather daunting prospect is that they are planning to post this data on a chart in the reception area so there will be nowhere to hide. I am looking forward to it as all I have been doing so far is running, in the dark and in the rain or snow! Pools in the park is also a great family gym so I am looking forward to get the family involved with some swimming and providing some encouragement!

Once I get the results of my first assessment I will post it here in a chart to monitor ups and (no doubt) downs. I will also post some more details of the Green initiative I am looking to promote from the Pole; the testing of solar technology for hand held devices (phones, mp3 players, notebooks etc). If reusable energy becomes the power supply of choice for these products instead of non degradable and toxic batteries it can only be a good thing!

Over and out for now, and for more information on the Gym, the link is on the right - and a BIG thanks to Pools on the Park!!

P.S - To the "friend" who asked why I was not making this blog funny - as you have seen me deliver a best man's speech, I am surprised you have to ask!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Rob, if you are planning on communicating via radio on your trip I am happy to spend some time taking you through radio etiquette. As a starter for 10, you don't use 'over & out', as 'over' is a request for a response and 'out' ends the communication. I hope this has been useful. Cheers Andy

Chef Courtney said...

Hi Rob,
Found your blog via Jessica's. Wishing you the best of luck with all the training and looking forward to following your great adventure.

The Wray Family
Sydney

Albacore Lia Fail said...

We also tripped on your info in Jessica Watson's blog. Best wishes to you. My grandfather was posted in the Yukon Territory for monitoring the telegraph lines back in the day. His dogs were his most important asset. On a long trek to trade furs and replenish low supplies, a polar bear attack finished his team and later followed him for days. He outlasted and outwitted detouring to an Inuit village. He had gotten us grandkids reading Jack London's books early on and we had always wanted him to write a book.

Anyway, re-post the gym pic with you guys in there sweating! Go find a Russian gymnastics coach; anyone else is too easy. After watching the Bulgarians and Russians with our now 12-year old for 9 years, I see that we Americans have no idea what cream puffs we are when it comes to conditioning. Seriously. But don't eat like they do!

We'll follow. Are you sure -40 F is the low temp--not lower? Prepare for Murphy's law. At what cold point do laptops not turn on?

Queenslander said...

Have added you to my "bookmarks"...

Best of luck mate!

Unknown said...

hey Rob,
awsome adventure for you!! I'll follow you along as I've been following Jessicawatson.com
Jenna form Michigan

Graeme Joy said...

Hi Rob, picked up your blog on Jessica's site, she is doing a great job especially after the tough time some in the Australian media gave her before she left! Congrats on your decision to enter the Magnetic North Pole Race, its a great trip & you should have a good time. Watch out for the bears - just remember to be faster than the 'other guy' I did the trip alone - except for the last 1.5 days - from Little Cornwallis Is back in 1998, it was a real buzz!! By the way I couldn't help noticing that you call it the 'North Pole' - I'm guessing this is just a typo on Jessica's blog & your site? Cheers,
Graeme Joy - North Pole 1989 - Mag North Pole 1998.

Bebie said...

Hi Rob,
Got your blog from Jessica's site. What an adventure you've got to look forward to. How great is that, that Pools on the Park will help you be ready for the big race?!

Will follow you closely and wish you all the very best.
p.s. As well as following Jessica, I'm also following Abby Sunderland's attempt to circumnavigate the world. You are all so brave.
Caloundra - Sunshine Coast, Qld. Australia.

Philip said...

I have also picked up your address from Jess's Blog.
The getting fit part is the biggest thing you are going to need for your journey. And I do agree that stamina and endurance will be the biggest assets.
And yes, if you are using any kind of ham (amateur) radio equipment, I can even monitor from my site as well. It would have to be very portable and because of the distance, HF radios would be the best.

But anyways, get fit and get sponsors. If I had lots of money, I would help sponsor as well.

Post a Comment