Progress map - Click on "See Bigger Map" below picture for details.

Sunday 18 April 2010

One step forward....


A few people have asked me to provide an update on the blog as it has been so long. The reason for the delay has been because I have been pretty unwell for a few weeks! Not doom and gloom but because I learnt a lesson not long ago my training has almost stopped.

I ran the Hastings half marathon feeling under the weather. Being a typical bloke I thought I would "get through it" and promptly found myself on a course of anti biotics (sinusitis, chest infection plus dodgy type of flu). I duly took these for a couple of weeks and did not train, as per doctors orders. I then very foolishly took part in a 10k Race in Richmond Park! The race itself, plus the organisation was fantastic and I must thank "The Fix" (who arrange it) for getting me in last minute. My time was 50.01 which is 2 minutes slower than my last 10k and proof that I had dome some damage to my training.

Before the race, the fella on the microphone introduced a chap who was flying to the Arctic the very next day to take part in the Arctic Marathon. I spent some time chatting with him (I was very impressed with his beard!) and his main concern was getting injured before the marathon, so the 10K race was a slow run to give him time to think and mentally prepare. Taking on some of this wisdom I hung up my running shoes, have avoided the gym and have been on a road to recovery ever since. I am not sure how he got on, but when I find a link I will post it.

So I am faced with a mental dilemma. I am asked a lot about the training and feel very guilty having not done much, especially when I have you folk following a blog that does not appear! Being of a slightly foolish disposition, I just want to get out there and get on with it, but I am resisting until I am totally better. Another doctors appointment will be arranged if I am not better in a week as this will be over a month and not right.

I hope this does not seem like a whinge, it is supposed to explain my absence, and to a certain extent my mood. Mentally I am all up for it, physically I am not 100%.

Any words of wisdom?

Until the next time - be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment